I finished all my little penny patches. Here are a few:
But then I had some trouble matching up points when sewing blocks together.
I tried double pinning the seams, but my sewing machine seemed to be pushing the layers of fabric forward at slightly different speeds. Since I’m going to need a walking foot for quilting anyway, I went ahead and ordered one. After a few minutes trying to attach it to the machine, I tried it and it works very well.
And there was more good news! Rachel kindly sent me a very cute fabric basket that she had made. It’s the perfect size to put all of my sharp sewing stuff in, so that I can put it on a high shelf that my cats can’t reach. Thanks, Rachel! I received it after a bit of rough day, and it made my evening.
Got a little further on my Penny Patch quilt this week. Not as far as I would like, but I’m enjoying the process and learning a lot.
For example, I’m learning that if my prints are directional, and I point them in the wrong direction, I may have to get out the seam ripper!
Nobody likes an upside-down tree.
I accidentally had some very cute fabric sent to the wrong address! When the post office returned it to Klinko (no affiliation), she put it right back in the mail to me. I got it just in time to use it instead of another pink fabric, and I’m loving the adorable hamsters. (Yes, I’m 36, and yes, this quilt is for me …)
Is anyone planning to do the Gen X Quilters Vice Versa BOM next year? I really like it, but am trying to decrease my number of WIPs. Help me find a good excuse. 😉
I can’t believe another week has gone by already. I’ve been pretty busy with work, but here’s what I managed to do:
- Super-secret English Paper Piecing (EPP) project – Cut bias binding for the first time. Sewed on a button.
- Tiny Sewing Kit (pattern from Jessica Alexandrakis‘s EPP book, Quilting on the Go) – Finished basting all of the hexagons. This project will have to be on hold for a bit, since I’m behind on my other two main projects.
- Penny Patch quilt from a beginner’s quilt-along – I’m a little more than halfway through cutting the fabric. Hopefully I will have some time to catch up this weekend.
Linking to WIP Wednesday.
Here’s what I did since last week.
- Super-secret English Paper Piecing (EPP) project – Quilted! Ironed! And I actually used a sewing machine for the first time in years. That was fun, once I figured out/remembered how to thread it.
- Tiny Sewing Kit (pattern from Jessica Alexandrakis‘s EPP book, Quilting on the Go) – Cut the rest of the hexagon templates and basted some more 2×2″ squares onto them.
My cat provides moral support during the basting process.
- Penny Patch quilt from a beginner’s quilt-along – gathered all of the fabrics and pinked the edges. I followed the suggestions on fat quarter selection for the throw size quilt:
Four pink fat quarters
Accent (green) and mid-tone neutral (gray)
10 low volume
And … I have a WIP that I forgot to list last week. I have two knitted hand towels that need the ends woven in.
Linking to WIP Wednesday.